

SUA Meeting Minutes 12.05.17

Meeting Called to Order: 8:02 PM

Roll Call: 8:02

Approval of the Agenda 8:05PM

Tamra: Motion to amend officer report backs from 30 minutes to 17 minutes

Davon: Second

No Objections

Judith: Motion to return five minutes to my updates to make it 30 minutes total

Zach: Second

No Objections

Ayo: Motion to remove 5 minutes from Royal Crown

Alice: Motion to approve the agenda

Jessica: Second

No Objections

Approval of the Minutes 8:08PM

Jessica: Motion to approve the minutes

Davon: Second

No Objections

Announcements and Public Comments 8:09PM

Vignesh: We are relaunching lobby corp. We have a group of 20-25 people to lobby our state legislatures. We also go to Washington DC. We will be announcing positions for legislature assistant next week. Please pass the message around so those interested can participate.

Judith: UCSA focus on three different campaigns and we review bills. If you want to facilitating a specific group you can apply and will be working directly with me and Vignesh.

Katherine: There is an event called the Big Break that is happening this Friday from 6:30-8:30PM. It provides students to take a break from studying and their will be dinner and dessert. There will be cool activities and photo booth. This Thursday my office will be tabling at the Quarry from 2-3PM. The applications for Student of Color Conference due a week from Today

Jessica: My office is providing food for finals this friday. The Habit has donated 300 tickets for burgers. If you visit the store manager you can have a fundraiser event and 20% of the funds will go to the organization.

Noah: suatreas@ucsc.edu is the new email for SUA Treasurer. Shoot me an email if you want to get a hold of me.

Jane: As representatives you also have to fill out report back. Please copy and paste your report to the email I sent. It is due this friday. You don't have to put that much work into it but it has to be filled out.

Presentations

Send Silence Packing (15 minutes) 8:13PM

- From Active Minds - dedicated to reduce stigma on mental health issues on college campuses.
- We want to display backpacks that will represent the number of suicides. We want this event to come to UCSC.
- College nationwide are seeing an increase in UCSC. 40% of students at UCSC had indicated they have suicidal thoughts.
- Planning to have it happen during Spring Quarter between late April and Early May. It will be a campus wide event. We want to book 9/10 MPC or Quarry Amphitheatre.
- We will have resources available for students who are triggered by the event or need anything else.
- The cost of the display is 5,000 dollars. It includes the 1100 backpacks (25) will have personal stories.
- We would like a letter of support from SUA that says that you feel that we have the resources necessary to put on the event. It is necessary for the campus as a whole.

Jonathan: Do you have a more detailed breakdown like specific costs. Itemized budget.

I don't have an itemized budget but it would go to the national organization and they would give us the resources.

Alice: This is the last meeting of the quarter. What is the timeline of when you expect us to have the letter.

We would like the letter by the first week of Winter Quarter.

Alice: What is your timeline for receiving funding?

Sometimes during winter quarter would be nice. We are looking into multiple sources

Trevor: How will you prevent someone being triggered. I know resources will be there but it is more difficult in person.

We definitely will have crisis counseling and people on campus to help those who are triggered. It is not our intention to trigger people but we recognize that if it happens we will have necessary resources to help those people.

Kim: I was wondering with the backpacks, what will happen after.

They belong to the active minds so they would go back to the organization.

Tamra: The money is it safe to say that you don't receive funding from them

We receive 750 dollars from the org and we need 1000 fundraising money.

Tamra: When do they need the money?

We would need it two weeks before the event.

Tamra: I would suggest that if this event does happen. I know this will be held in the public place I wouldn't want to stop my day because I am triggered. I would put up signs so it can be a place for those to go to rather than just somewhere in a very public place like a dining hall.

I think having an idea of a trigger warning is a good idea.

Katie: My comment is on that topic. I think also sending an email out about it and letting people know in advance so that they know not to go. It is not just an awareness thing for folks and I think trying to balance both published and avoidable is necessary.

Ayo: I just want to say thank you for coming here and bringing this space. Mental health is definitely important. I think what Tamra said is also important.

Max: In terms of when you would have this event, late April and early May I would like to know the date because around that time there will be other things going on. There will be May Day and other events. I just want to be mindful of those event but I'll contact you later on.

New Business 8:27PM

Royale Gala of Giving (5 minutes) 8:28PM

- We are talking about SUA being more of a volunteer aspect rather than funding orgs.
- This event will be in Spring Quarter late April early May. We can invite those with money and they can come and we will serve them dinner and raise funds to give back to lower socially economic areas in California. I chose a few of them but there are places that students cannot have the opportunities for educational success. I want to hear everyone's thoughts

Sam: I like the idea of that but we are the SUA of UCSC. I think we should focus more on our students here because we do have our own fair share of frustrations. I don't think we can overlook the issues we are currently experiencing.

Ayo: I don't want us to not help people if we can. I know our students are a priority but if we take ourselves out of UCSC and say how we are contributing to our society as a whole I would like more volunteer work. This GALA wouldn't be that much of a cost that's hurting the Student Body. But it will be raising funds to help the student body.

Cibyl: I don't know what the incentive would be for those people with money to come. It would be cool for the chancellor to come.

Ayo: i thought of that too but I talked to Marlene Trump and they said it would be a great event and they would help get people to come. I'm relying on our sub committee and also those people to do their contacts.

Davon: I understand that it is important but we should also do our research on those rich people to see where they are getting their money. We have to do research to see where their money is going. We should serve the people who are exploiting others. We just have to follow the money.

Max: You said that you are putting this in Spring Quarter. There is a lot of time to hash out details. It sounds unclear where the money is going so if we are going to do something philanthropic I was thinking if we give it outside of the university. A good place would be the city of Santa Cruz.

Ayo: I was thinking of primary and secondary school students. Students in lower income communities would be focused on. We definitely should specify but it is up to where we want to help and how early we can catch those students so they have the equipment to take tests or apply for colleges.

Vignesh: I think donating to primary and secondary schools it would be against us since we have so many people who can't even afford things on this campus. We are raising money for others and I know they need our help but our students need us too. Think about who you want to donate to.

Ayo: Extend by 1 Minutes

Tamra: Second

No Objections

Tamra: We would be spending student fees on an event not for our students. I think a way to mitigate this is if we work together with SIO that we have so that the goals they outreach to who are potential slugs that would be a better area. It would benefit our campus and it will come back to us. I think this would be the best way. (Student Initiated Outreach) It sounds good.

Ayo: I understand the media and how this would look and I think it is important to take into consideration what our students need. One of my friends mentioned to me that higher education is very important individually.

Scantron Update (10 minutes) 8:38PM

- Our resources to buy scantrons are depleted on Thursday I will try to institutionalize the funding for scantrons.
- A lot of professors support our need to get free scantrons.
- If it is not passed then we can do a student fee of 1 dollar to pay for these supplies partially.
- I would want your input the student fee is a last option but the deadline is December 15th. I would like everyone's input. The bookstore makes a 40 to 50 percent profit on each testing material. This fee would eliminate that profit. There is an upcharge in the bookstore. It is one of their most profitable items.

Jonathan: Is there any opposition?

It's difficult with blue book and green book companies. They won't sell to anyone on the university. I am confident my office can handle it. Some students are concerned about the fee because they don't need blue books or green books. I don't know if it will be a course fee but the committee that receives that is something I am unfamiliar with.

Max: I was wondering if you can look into UC sources.

It is predominately private universities that do that. I have been asking around and no other UC's have this model.

Tamra: How much would this program cost per year? Would other places for funding be Student Success or SFAC

I have considered SFAC and the college provosts and anything that deals with academic would be a great resources. I am considering that but I have to cover this base because the deadline is coming up. The projected costs are less than 5 grand.

Max: Have you thought of a mixture of funds? What would that look like?

If the student fee passes then it is a mixture. If this proposal fails at the beginning of the year all the professors needing an exam will submit an estimate of the materials needed.

SAS Resolution Update (10 minutes) 8:44PM

- I got an email back and said that our action truly is gratifying to him.
- I also have been talking to Judith our UCSA president and I have drafted a statement in solidarity that all EVPS have decided to pass at another UC Campuses. It is just saying statement and solidarity in our overcrowding issues. I have emailed you all a petition that we have started to get students to sign this petition. We will stop over enrollment until the resources are met.
- In January the UC Regents will talk about tuition hikes and Judith will present the results.

Student Regent Visit (5 minutes) 8:48PM

- The student regent are going to come to our campus on January 11th. They are our best access to UC Regents who decide on all the money etc.
- They want to host a student forum. The regent said if you have any issues regarding admin then they would be happy to echo any issue and concern
- Ie. If you have an issue with Sue West then Student Regent will speak on our behalf to the admins. I will send an email out with my email for any suggestion that you would want the regents to speak to on our behalf.
- They have access to the actual regents and this is direct access. Please email me the names of the admin and the issue. I'll keep everyone updated.
- This will be my last meeting as a BSU rep. The time slot will be either 6-8PM or 7-9PM. You can become the student regent or adviser for the upcoming year the application will roll out winter quarter and it will be due end of January.

Lauren: Would that application be sent out to all UCSC students?

Yes it will be and the application will have a link to it and it is 6 pages and 2 interviews.

Judith: I encourage you to apply there has never been an UCSC regent but I heard they are prioritizing UCSC this year.

Tamra: Isn't it free tuition?

Davon: There is no tuition for the regent btw!

External Affairs Updates (30 minutes) 8:53PM

- I don't just represent UCSC but my commitment to you is still my highest priority. I have to be mindful that I do represent all the other UC's.
- View Powerpoint Presentation for full info
- Talk about tuition cost of living and etc.
- Have events and outreach to learn about Title 9, recent bills, and etc.
 - Government Relations Committee that will go through everything and a recent bill is the Title 9 protection act. We don't have federal law and this will have it.
- Tuition might be increased again
- I also represent undergraduate and graduate students. The bill just passed and Graduate students will be charged money that they never received.
- Feel free to email me!

Officer Report Backs (17 minutes) 9:15PM

- Jessica (VPAA)
 - I am getting scantrons for classes
 - I have a meeting with Head of Advising for potential advising evaluation so that advisors can better themselves in addressing the needs of students.
 - I am working with SAS and the first meeting will be on Friday
- Katherine (VPDI)
 - I hired both of my interns who have helped me.
 - Working on online diversity training, Everfy works on providing online training for UCSC on incoming Frosh and Transfers. I have been working to help create for the upcoming academic year
 - I am working on a multicultural career conference.
 - First gen initiative is happening to expand that to be student focused
 - We are doing mental health and community event on December 1st. We strategized it would be helpful and we hope to continue that rest of the year.

- I am also planning the Martin Luther King events. Kimberly Cranshaw will be speaking and she is the founder of the concept of intersectionality.
- Preparing for the Student of Color Conference and it is super important for all of us to get involved. Davon: you can attend to host a workshop and it is very cool and you can apply.
- Tamra (VPSL)
 - Pantry
 - Met with Senate Bill 85 so we can do a hunger free campus. It is to get food security for campus and we are getting around 10 grand next quarter. The goal is that this funding will be reinstated every year. Hopefully the pantry can be funded through that
 - Food recovery is starting on Campus. The first ten days we recovered over 100 pounds of food and we will be explaining that to the owls nest and starting winter quarter we will be getting food recovery as well as catering (start with pastry)
 - Better Cal Fresh Outreach within colleges, Hiring a pantry manager starting winter quarter. It will be a 3 part process. I will also be having new shift leads. Applications are already out.
 - Student Life Office
 - Trying to bring a speaker on campus for Ramadan for MSA. We are planning on meetings.
 - We would like a couple speakers to come onto campus for winter quarter. We reached out to ERC and CQC. If you have any speakers you would like to see please let me know or else I will choose someone. If you have somebody in mind please let me know.
 - ERC are having study break and we have been working with them to donate food. We are trying to build connections with the community. The bagelry is giving us free food.
 - Special Projects
 - My goal is to make sure the pantry can run without me.
 - I want to fundraise for the assembly to provide scholarships to the students on campus
- Alice (VPIA)
 - Working to relaunch SUA Vision Committee to keep our own body in check
 - I will be having tabling hours that will be at Iveta, I have a sign. I have my regular office hours for SCOC. Everyone on a committee can come and eat food.
 - We had our first sister college event and it was special because we spent our budget on food and we fed 150 people and we donated leftovers to the food pantry.
 - Remaining sister college events will happen rest of the quarter

- We want a student to get metro board and taps to advocate metro needs to the board. We are doing a funding campaign about standing down to get OPERs on the ballot. We want TAP's Deficit to be absolved or paid for so students have a way of transportation. We were running a student working group.
- I sit on CAPS advisory board for SUA. I shared concerns on lack of counselors and identity based counselors and long wait times. I have worked with Kat's office for more diversity training for those counselors in CAPS.
- CAPS will have anonymous feedback and they are also hiring.
- I work with SFAC for funding to orgs and commencements. We want commencements to be funded and in October and I passed a resolution saying commencement.
- My office hours are tomorrow from 6-8PM

Davon: I motion to extend time by 10 minutes

Tamra: Second

No Objections

- Max (President)
 - I have my report in the agenda drive but here are some highlights.
 - We passed the budget for SOFA, the application for SOFA is open now or will be opened next week. We will announce that to the campus when we come back for winter break.
 - We are updating the SUA website for broken link etc. The contact info for suggestions is in the report I have.
 - I am working on a food access and basic needs website. There are resources available but there aren't enough. Students are having trouble finding these resources so we want to consolidate all of those. It also provide ways for direct aid etc. It will provide long term solutions.
 - SUA Vision Committee is still being hashed out. The executive admin Ashley and one of Alice's interns will be working with professors on the surveys. Instead of having students come to us we want to be intentional and go to them. We will be utilizing the student reps and other orgs in the space to go to their spaces and ask people to fill this out.
 - We are planning a retreat to address the issues of SUA outside of the space. A lot of the meetings have been centered around officers. I want to integrate the work that the reps do as students. I want to utilize the 44 students sitting in this room. If you are interested the people you should contact are on the document. We will meet next quarter.
 - Student Union Housing Working Group, SUHG informs students their rights as tenants and we are doing qualitative and quantitative analysis. We will determine how UCSC

will improve on housing. We want this space to be centralized. We are holding a student clinic regarding any issues. We have workshops so that people can stay informed. City Council is trying to pass city plans for the upcoming year and we want students to be apart of this conversation. The working group is set up with different committees. We want to focus on on campus housing who are living in bad conditions first but we do want to focus on off campus as well. Research team is the needy part right now and our survey is not going to be for google forms it will be through IRB

- We also have student housing west committee, we will be doing a lot of research. We are also offering academic credit and student media. We are also working with the BLUM center. Our last meeting will be this friday December 8th from 4-6pm in this room.
- Please email me and Thao if you have questions. We have been helping students get integrated. There are 15-20 students who come consistently. I am tired of this housing crisis so if you are passionate please hit me up.
- Judith (VPEA)
 - Report is in the presentation^

9:46PM: Closing Remarks and Adjournment

Jane: Good luck with finals!

Katie: Are we changing locations for winter quarter?

It will be in Oakes

Chloe: New email for Student Recording Secretary: suarecor@ucsc.edu